Friday, August 28, 2009

Where was Alan Turing's office at Manchester?

So sitting here in the Alan Turing Building I was wondering where the great man used to sit and think. The Mathematics Department was housed in the attic of the John Owens Building until about 1952 when the department moved to the Williamson Building. I went to the university archive but all we could find was his personnel record (a single index card) and an entry in the 1953-54 University Calendar. It is not clear where the Computing Machine Laboratory would have been when it started in 1948. My suspicion is that at least at first he was in that attic. The reverse of the card has his home address and a newspaper obituary.







The address in Hale is new to me, but I think the one in Wilmslow has a blue plaque.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home