Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Open Science

Ideally, where possible, data from scientific experiments, especially published work, should be accessible so that at the very least other researchers can attempt to reproduce your results. I think this is especially true in computational projects, and in that case ideally the source code of the software you used should be accessible.

Another good reason to make experimental data available is that that there are many groups working in scientific computing and applied mathematics without good contacts with experimental researchers, and indeed vice versa. Furthermore widely accessible data sets mean that groups can compare their algorithms and software on the same data set to give a more objective comparison.

CERN's web site Zenodo is an excellent resource for exchange of open data. It is free to use and gives a Digital Object Identifier DOI for the data, making it citable.

In the EIDORS project we have had a data repository for a while now and included some classic data sets including the first EIT (electrical impedance tomography) data of a human, Rod Smallwood's arm. testing the water I transferred the data to Zenodo here.  I think in the future EIDORS contributed data sets might go this way with a link from the EIDORS web site.

My student Sophia Coban recently created a data set of glass beads using the x-ray CT facility in the Henry Mosley Centre here in Manchester. Her data set SophiaBeads is now on Zenodo, with a separate entry for the source code of demo reconstructions. The source code is a single release taken from GitHub, and archived on Zenodo which gives it a DOI.

I am still trying out these open science ideas myself, but I just uploaded my own MRI head scan to Zenodo. Some of my colleagues might think this is too open. Perhaps I want my head examining?  Well why not! However there appears to be nothing especially wrong with my brain, and we will use it as a test for some segmentation and meshing algorithms.

Thumb nail image from MRI of my head.


2 Comments:

Blogger priestly said...

You got the MRI scan performed on your head for free?
I would like to get one too.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Billlion said...

Yes, but there was a clinical need so it was done on the NHS. Fortunately it showed nothing was wrong. At this hospital at least for £10 they give you the DICOM file on a DVD. To do an MRI on a research grant or privately costs a few hundred pounds.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home